With a focus across both academia and industry, the Senior Director, Scientific Search and Evaluation – External Innovation will provide deep pre-clinical and/ or clinical scientific leadership to Boston Biomedical’s global sourcing of scientific innovation, partnership opportunities in the oncology therapeutic area, as well as leadership in the technical evaluation and due diligence of oncology in-licensing, acquisition, and/or NewCo formation opportunities at all stages of development, to feed our future pipeline. The focus of this role is on scientific evaluation and not business development.iance
- Works externally with academia/ VC-backed startups, scientific leaders, KOL, Principal Investigators and CSO to evaluate their portfolio for co-development, in-licensing, and/or NewCo formation.
- Sourcing, leading scientific due diligence of platforms, early stage preclinical/ clinical assets, partner discussion leading to deal closure (deal sheet).
- Accountable for the development of a comprehensive and timely due diligence package to include a full assessment (scientific evaluation, regulatory, CMC, manufacturing, clinical development, competitive landscape) of external opportunities, and make recommendations for approval.
- Alliance Management: Act as key point of contact with academia/ industry, drive product development/ integration of partner’s platform/ IND/ early-stage clinical assets internally, and ensure partner achieves agreed upon milestones.
- Provides scientific domain expertise in oncology (discovery, preclinical to IND filing) and subject matter expertise across wide platforms (immunotherapy, Immuno-oncology, microbiome, oncolytic virus, RNAi, cancer vaccines, gene & cell therapy).
- Management of complex projects, with a multi-disciplinary, and cultural dimension.
- Works cross-functionally and builds strong and effective working relationships (R&D, manufacturing, IP, legal, marketing, finance, cancer institute Japan).
- Responsible for on-time project completion within the approved budget and for providing frequent updates on progress towards objectives and achievement of milestones of partner-led projects to ensure timely delivery, highlighting any issues that might adversely impact overall business plans / timelines.
- Sets metrics, goals, develops standard templates for assessments, and criteria for initiation/ development of external partnerships in oncology.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD in immun0-oncology, immunotherapy, gene & cell therapy, and/or oncology.
- Strong domain expertise in the oncology therapeutic area (discovery, preclinical to IND filing) is required, along with deep scientific/ technical expertise in immunotherapy/ platforms related to oncology.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in scientific licensing in large pharma / biotech with focus on external research and innovations in biotherapeutics from discovery to clinical development.
- In-depth understanding of the drug development process, cell therapies, biologics, and peptide platforms in oncology is required.
- Expertise across wide platforms is required (immunotherapy, Immuno-oncology, microbiome, oncolytic virus, RNAi, cancer vaccines, gene & cell therapy).
- Broad experience with innovations, new technology platforms, and IP.
- Strong project management, alliance management/ operations skills with a successful proven track record and significant exposure leading biotherapeutics-based deals is required.
- Working knowledge of regulatory agencies (FDA, Ex-US), CMC, biomarker, and biomanufacturing of immunotherapy and cell therapy products (CMO).
- Well-developed external network including VC, academia and industry contacts
- Demonstrated experience in planning, prioritizing, implementation and analysis of externally driven research programs.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, and ability to effectively communicate the science to management and with partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting, foster and nurture teamwork, and act as a facilitator to drive fulfillment of corporate strategic goals.
- Although this position is not a business development role, it requires a well-developed business acumen (CDA, MTA, market analysis, budgeting, VC, alliance management).
- Willingness to travel up to 25% to academic, industry, client and/or partner sites.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and embracing of change.
Job Location: Cambridge, MA
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer